Friday 13 September 2013

Post 1. And so it begins...

Well, the training is complete...ish, the bike is set...ish and the money is raised...ish

and I'm ready

...ish

For the next week I shall be tapering off the training (short of a 110 mile ride to the coast tonight!) and starting to take it easy in the hope that I shall be rested and truly ready for the big push. Since deciding to undertake this challenge I've cycled over 4500 miles in training and am currently averaging 200 odd miles a week. Much of that is made up of a 40 mile commute to the office and back but there are many more long (sometimes wet!) weekend rides in there too.

Then, on Tuesday 24th at precisely 9.30 I shall set of, with two mates and 18 soon-to-be-mates and cycle from Lands end to John O'Groats, to raise as much as possible for a selection of charities.



Its a challenge unlike any I've attempted before, which so far have been about as extreme as walking to Tescos rather than driving. That said I've put in some miles to prepare and lost the equivalent of a backpack worth of sugar in body weight, to help me up those hills. I remind myself constantly that its not a race, that completion is the goal. 

Still doesn't stop me quaking in fear at the task ahead...  around 100 miles a day for 12 days, with no resting, no break days, no weekends off...just riding (with a couple of short days that are only 70 odd miles along the way)

<< BACK TO INDEX









No comments:

Post a Comment