Monday 16 September 2013

Post 3. Weather Warning

After a long,  shockingly wet training ride at the weekend, my thoughts seem to be over focussed on the virtues of a truly waterproof jacket. The wet doesn't usually concern me much, as most of my rides last less than 5 hours. 

However, after the weekend experience I now understand the limits of my existing "waterproof" jacket, which seems to be 5 hours of drizzle or 1.5 hours in a down pour at gas mark 0, after which, my jacket turns to a sponge and actively assists the rain in permeating all of my layers with extreme efficiency. Leaving me shivering and feeling very sorry for myself

So, do I sell a kidney and "blow a bundle" on a exotic Gore-tex number, or cross my fingers and hope that northern Scotland will be delightfully warm and balmy... in October.

Hmmm.

I suspect I'll buy a jacket then.

The challenge now, is knowing which of the epically expensive jackets on offer are truly waterproof and which are just a glorified boil in a bag and as such will ultimately prove to be a waste of my bartered body organs.

I detest having to make big purchases under time constraints, I like to do my research. Who's bright  idea was it to go riding across Britain in September anyhow!!!

<< BACK TO INDEX


3 comments:

  1. I do apologise John. I think it was my idea. My plan has always been, and still is, to shelter behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's just awkward, that was my plan too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't shelter behind Angus unless you want wind and rain.

    ReplyDelete